It is natural for you to feel a little down and low from time to time. However, if hopelessness, sadness, and irritability have become your second nature chances are you are suffering from depression. Depression interferes with your everyday life by making you doubtful when doing even the most simple tasks.
A major depressive disorder is a serious thing and dark feelings and emotions are the first steps towards making you feel depressive. That being said, depression can make it harder for you to even get out of bed in the morning. Read further to know more about the symptoms of this debilitating problem.
Signs of Depression – In Brief
There are many signs of depression and how long these lasts and their intensity differ. For example, the feeling of sadness you experience might not be the same felt by the next individual.
With that said, let us find out about the symptoms of clinical depression.
- Feelings of sadness, emptiness, and anxiety
- Feeling Hopeless, and helpless
- Irritable mood
- Problem with concentration
- Disturbed sleeping patterns
- Unusual weight gain or loss
- Thoughts of suicide and self-harm
However, with the problem also comes its solution. You can practice yoga for depression to get rid of this mental health issue. Let us find out how yoga helps you deal with depression.
Why Practice Yoga For Depression – Know Here
Numerous studies have shown how yoga improves your flexibility and muscular strength. It also helps you fight addiction and get over anxiety. Yoga does wonders when it comes to helping you sleep peacefully after a tiring day.
Given below is how yoga helps you get over depression.
1. Gets Your Body in Motion
Various studies have proven how simply moving your body helps you in recovering from depression. Instead of simply focusing on burning calories and building muscles yoga helps you develop mindfulness and gives your body a good workout.
2. Helps Regulate Emotions
Whether you suffer from anxiety or normal depression, emotions play an important role in both of these mental health conditions. Yoga helps you focus even during an uncomfortable situation without trying to force change on the situation or yourself.
Moreover, simply being present in the situation helps you witness the numerous emotions and feelings you experience without judging them.
3. Forms Mind-Body Connection
The majority of mental health issues damage your mind-body connection. In other words, your body and mind go on autopilot without any communication with each other. However, practicing simple yoga poses with the right breathing reconnects the mind to your body.
Let us find out about the yoga poses that can help you fight depression.
2 Yoga Poses to Treat Depression
Given below are two yoga for depression poses you can practice getting rid of all the stress and anxiety.
1. Upward-Facing Dog Pose (Urdhva Mukha Svanasana)
A powerful yoga pose that helps you beat stress and cure fatigue without any issue. It releases the stress trapped in your back and activates your upper body.
Steps to Practice Urdhva Mukha Svanasana
1. Lie down on the yoga mat on your belly. Keep your toes facing downwards with some distance between the two.
2. Keep your palms near your chest and lift your upper body off the mat.
3. Completely straighten your arms and legs. Press the top part of your toes against the yoga mat.
4. Look upwards or straight and keep your shoulders away from your ears. Keep your chest up and off the yoga mat.
2. Uttanasana (Standing Forward Fold Pose)
Uttanasana is the best yoga pose to take care of normal depression and develop some flexibility in the process. It relieves the tension in your back, neck, and shoulders which improves the functioning of your nervous system.
This yoga asana also fights anxiety and keeps you calm. It improves blood circulation in your brain which reduces the chances of depression.
Method of Practicing Uttanasana
1. Stand straight on the yoga mat with your arms by your body.
2. Keep your feet at shoulder distance from each other.
3. Place your arms on your hips and bend forward from the hips.
4. Try to touch your chest to your thighs and head to your knees. Keep both your knees completely straight.
5. Bring down your hands beside the toes. Also, you can hold your ankles from their backside.
Depression is a debilitating mental health condition that wreaks havoc on your physical and mental well-being. The yoga poses mentioned above will surely help you deal with clinical depression without any hassle.