Your deck is probably the most favorite part of your home. Those relaxed sunny mornings or rejuvenating evenings on your deck are certainly what you look forward to. But what if we say that your secure and cosy corner has turned into a dangerous threat? Of course, you will be worried. Well, the matter is serious. Especially if your deck’s foundation is affected, there are grave dangers lurking.
Check for these signs of a problematic deck!
Just like everything else, even your deck won’t last forever. It would need a little repair or replacement every now and then. But if you need to restrict the decay, look for signs that warn you in advance. Wondering what those signs are? Read on:
- The railings are rusted and coming off — A threatening sign of an old and worn-out deck is rusted railing that is nearly falling off. This part of your deck is important to keep you secure and safe. But if the iron of the railings has really started to rust badly, then you require replacing it entirely. Because no amount of repair can get these back to normal again.
- Missing screws — The missing screws on your deck’s planks are clear signs of an upcoming danger. You’ll never know when more screws would come off and the planks would start to dismantle causing more danger.
- Rusted nails — The rusting nails on the wooden planks of your deck is another sign screaming of impending damage. But this isn’t a big job. You can always call the workers to change the nails and fix them back again.
- Rotten and cracked wood — The most serious sign of a deck giving away is its wood getting badly damaged. It may be due to water leakage or some climatic conditions or simply because it is too old, the wood starts to rot. It is a clear sign that the foundation of your deck is in danger. Repairing won’t make much difference at this stage. What you can do is change the old wood and opt for new timber decking in Perth via Top Deck Carpentry. They provide you superior services in making a deck that is totally strong, aesthetic, and long-lasting as well.
- Your boards are unsteady — If the deck boards are shaking while you walk on them, then this again is a clear sign of the deck giving away. The reason for such wobbly planks can be loose connections, missing board, or even very old timber. Whatever the reasons may be, replacing them entirely or fixing them again properly are the only options for you.
Deck safety depicts the safety of your house. You have to be very sharp in observing these signs so that you or your family members aren’t harmed just when you plan to have a relaxing time after a long day.